More Gyms For Women-Only
We Need More Women’s Only Gyms
Women all around the world already have so many problems as it is. Whether that be racial injustice, unequal pay, affordable abortions, etc., my fight for women to get more women-only gyms around the world would be one less problem we have to face. Thousands of women suffer from these social injustice problems every day. Why is no one doing anything about it? Not enough people care about it as much as I do and I hope to persuade anyone who is reading this to feel the same way I do about having more women-only gyms created.
Where At?
I reside in Pennsylvania and I am a nineteen year old woman. I enjoy working out with my friends all the time. It is an escape from reality and really helps with my anxiety. My gym schedule is very flexible and it could be like that for everyone else. However, I noticed I would not get a good workout when there are too many people there and/or when there are too many males at the gym. There are many creeps at the gym all over the place. I am specifically stating there be more in PA simply because that is where I live. I would usually look up different gyms and locations from my school in PA. Some are usually too far out and not accessible. My reason for there to be more gyms for women-only in Pennsylvania, is so that we can feel comfortable, safe, and protected.
Feeling Safe
In an article called, “I Worked Out at a Women-Only Gym to See If I’d Feel More Comfortable” by Julia Sullivan, she stated “most women I know have had a workout disrupted by a man at some point.” Working out with a bunch of men from god knows where, is creepy and terrifying. Women have to deal with the multiple men trying to “holla” at them or correct them on their posture on a daily basis. Which also gives a more reason to push forward the fact that these only-women gyms are needed. Another article stated from Women in Sport & Physical Activity Journal says, “Recently, women-only gyms have become an important factor in promoting women's participation in exercise in nonwestern countries” also, “This study examines the factors that affect the experiences of women who participate in exercise in a women-only gym, in Turkey, by applying self-determination theory (SDT) with a gender perspective” It is proven that women feel more relaxed and happy when with other women in a sanctioned space.
More Supporters
If more women come to the light and share their traumatic experiences dealing with men at the gym, then I predict the media will shine light to it. More people will notice and come out with their stories. This could also catch the attention of other women in other parts of the country and maybe even outside of the country. This could be the start of something big and persuade the youth to make bigger changes. Groups of women will come together and make a master plan of making this dream come true.
Pros and Cons
Having multiple one gendered gyms all around Pennsylvania definitely comes with some pros and cons. Three pros of having an only-women gym stated from an article called, “The Pros And Cons of Women-Only Gyms”, by Catherine Russell include harder workouts for women to feel more comfortable using different and unique equipment, networking which helps women connect with others and share their experience, and the fact that it is designed for women so they can feel comfortable in that environment and own space. As well as some cons which include, gym discriminatory, varieties of classes and women facing many discrimination at many fitness facilities.
My Experience
I have experienced many situations involving “thirsty” men trying to get my attention at the gym. My self esteem went down and I felt easily uncomfortable. There was one time where a group of men had just walked in the section that I was in. As I walked past them I could hear one of them whisper under his breath trying to be secretive and said, “Damn, look at that.”, to his friend beside him. I kept walking, making a disgusted face. I turned once again and saw the one man that had said something about me, pointed his finger at her and said something to the rest of them, smiling at the same time. At this point it made me not even want to go back to the gym. I sometimes would workout in my room but it will never be the same as if I were to go to an actual gym where I am able to use the equipment. This has not only happened to me but also a fellow friend of mine and it is sad that most of the women closest to me go through the same thing. This is what persuades me to push for this change.
Comments
Post a Comment